It’s well-known that Juan Román RIQUELME is not exactly an easy-going guy. He has always been impossible to talk with for the local press when he first came to the scene playing for Boca.
He would score a hat-trick and yet refuse to talk with the journalist after the match.
Some think he is special and once you get to know him and become his friend he is a great guy. Some think he always have the same face, the same look in his eyes. It doesn´t matter if he scores a crucial goal or he miss an all-important penalty kick. He´ll always have the same expression.
But the most controversial side of RIQUELME seem to take place in the kitchen of football: the dressing room.
The Chilean newspaper “La Tercera” have published an article about the rift between RIQUELME and Villarreal manager Manuel PELLEGRINI who have decided to exclude ROMÁN from his squad and sent him on loan to Boca Juniors.
Now the details that La Tercera have unveiled are shocking (to say the least).
Arguably, RIQUELME was guilty of the following acts of misconduct while at Villarreal:
• Complained about the weight of the ball
• Refused to participate in some volunteer team training
• Include family members on the team´s travelling buses
• Arrange a press conference to announce his retirement from international football at Villarreal without the consent of the club´s authorities
• Listen to music on his MP4 player while PELLEGRINI was giving the pre-match talk to the team.
Granted these are rumours or versions published in Chile, but knowing RIQUELME I have little doubts they are true.