Lionel Messi scores incredible goal for FC Barcelona in 1-1 draw vs. PSG

26

Lionel Messi scored one of the best strikes of his career for FC Barcelona in their 1-1 draw vs. PSG.

Messi showed that he can still strike the ball as well as anyone in the world as he netted scored his 25th goal of the season, leaving him six behind his tally of last season. PSG took a commanding 4-1 lead going into the second match in Paris and took a 1-0 lead in the match.

Despite Barcelona actually having most of the chances and being unlucky to fall behind, they needed a miracle for a comeback. And a miracle they could have gotten. Messi would receive the ball well outside of the penalty area and a thunderous left footed shot beat goalkeeper Navas to draw Barcelona level.

He could have made it 2-1 going into half time as Koeman’s team were awarded a penalty kick. Up stepped Messi who had his penalty saved. Yet despite the miss, Messi had a great game.

Leandro Paredes and Mauro Icardi both started for Mauricio Pochettino’s men while Angel Di Maria was brought on as a substitute.

26 Comments

  1. @ Waveride, Batigoal is my second favorite player, between Maradona and Redondo. I feel lucky to have seen him play several times in the NT shirt.

  2. Great knuckle ball from Messi! This type of strike we typically see from Ronaldo while Messi usually goes for finesse and curve over power, but this was a rocket. He also tried a bicycle kick which looked like it could’ve gone in if Gueye hadn’t touched it slightly. Messi still hasn’t scored a bicycle kick in his career funnily enough

  3. Good news is that over the past month Emery switches from using Foyth as a DM or back up CB to playing almost every game as a RB, we can all agree that he does not have all of the characteristics of a modern full back but it is good either way for him to be playing in that position every game as he did not get that opportunity before

    • Yes, if he plays as a RB on a regular basis he might improve. Just watch whether he gets into advanced enough positions to cross the ball or largely stays back and passes the ball more like a midfielder…

      • Argentina already have enough player to attack,defence is weakness for Argentina. Fullbacks usually have five or six assists in whole season. If Argentina does not concede goals then they can win tournament as attack wins matches defence wins titles.

    • You got me olive majestic about Batistuta playing for both River and Boca! Spot on! 😉 And to add on this, another favourite player of mine who did the same, was “el hijo del viento” Claudio Paul Caniggia!

      • It is very interesting when players make that switch — Ruggeri, Caniggia, and Batistuta are the most notable ones, although I forgive Caniggia and Batistuta for their national team performances

  4. That goal was a bomb. Reminds me of Batistuta’s goal against Manchester United.

    But the penalty. I have said this many times, he is very poor at penalties in general. He still scores 8 out of 10, since its really hard to stop one, not because he is good at it. If you pause the penalty you will notice Navas have moved to the direction much before Messi shoots. This happens 99% of time. The GK always moves first. Messi never looks at the GK. Its always Messi shoots in the same side of the GK, the GK never dives towards where Messi shoots. He has to look up, else he will keep missing crucial penalties.

  5. […] Lionel Messi scored one of the best strikes of his career for FC Barcelona in their 1-1 draw vs. PSG. Messi showed that he can still strike the ball as well as anyone in the world as he netted scored his 25th goal of the season, leaving him six behind his tally of last season. PSG took a commanding 4-1 lead going into the second match in Paris and took a 1-0 lead in the match. Despite Barcelona actually having most of the chances and being unlucky to fall behind, they needed a miracle for a […] Lionel Messi scores incredible goal for FC Barcelona in 1-1 draw vs. PSG […]

  6. A wonderful goal indeed. Many commentators talked about the changing of the guard (Messi nor Ronaldo in the quarter final for the first time in 16 years) to Mbappe and Haaland. Messi proved them wrong as he way better than Mbappe yesterday.

    Icardi ran like hell but got only good pass. Paredes did not convince and Di Maria was more concerned with possession than scoring.

  7. Paredes was very poor yesterday most of the times dispossessed by De jong and pedri couldn’t get out of press. That tackle was messi that was intentional and reckless.
    Dimaria was impressive when he came off the bench but i don’t see same sort of confidence in him with National team.

    • 75% chance staying at Barca with winning project, 25% chance joining Man City tie up with New York City in MLS with a huge contract. 0% chance joining PSG if one of Mbappe/Neymar staying and other clubs can’t afford messi so no chance for rest of the teams.

  8. What a fluctuation of emotions, one minute he scores an incredible golazo and shortly after misses a penalty. But in a way I do not mind that Barca lost because it will give Messi more encouragement to join PSG and win titles. He either stays loyal before retiring or leaves to have some glorious last years, a tough choice

  9. What a cracker of a goal. Unbelievable that messi’s last CL truimph is 2015. GOAT is the epitome of loyalty. Cant think of any player who sacrificed so much success in the prime of his career bcos of loyalty. Maybe his heart wants him to retire in barca only & if they pull in aguero it gives him more comfort to stay & help team rebuild.

      • Richard both of the above legends you mentioned were loyal to their respective teams indeed but allow me to tell you two reasons which in my humble opinion make Batistuta so special:

        First of all, Maldini used to play for one of the most legendary teams back then, AC Milan, while Batistuta was arguably almost an one man army in Fiorentina.

        Secondly, even though Totti’s team Roma was not among Italy’s top 3, it was still a very good team while on the other hand Fiorentina faced relegation and Batistuta was the only legend who decided to follow his club team to relegation and helping them to come back to serie a again, putting aside all the offers from world’s biggest clubs back then, such as Real Madrid, Manchester united and others.

          • I love Batistuta and he is the greatest ever Fiorentina legend, but let’s not forget he played for both River and Boca ironically enough for displaying loyalty in Italy

Comments are closed.