The Argentina U20 team debut at the World Cup against rivals England.
Five time U20 World Cup champions Argentina, lead by Claudio UBEDA, kick off their tournament on the opening day in South Korea. There’s been a lot of speculation about the squad leading up to the World Cup with injuries and clubs not allowing players to travel but UBEDA now has his team. The list of 21 who will try to lift World Cup number 6 for Argentina is the following:
Argentina U20 World Cup team:
1. Franco PETROLI (Goalkeeper, River Plate)
2. Juan FOYTH (Defender, Estudiantes)
3. Milton VALENZUELA Defender (Newell’s Old Boys)
4. Gonzalo MONTIEL (Defender, River Plate)
5. Santiago ASCACIBAR (Midfielder, Estudiantes)
6. Marcos SENESI (Midfielder, San Lorenzo)
7. Marcelo TORRES (Forward, Boca Juniors)
8. Exequiel PALACIOS (Midfielder, River Plate)
9. Lautaro MARTINEZ (Forward, Racing Club)
10. Tomas CONECHNY (Forward, San Lorenzo)
11. Brian MANSILLA (Forward, Racing Club)
12. Manuel ROFFO (Goalkeeper, Boca Juniors)
13. Leonel MOSEVICH (Defender, Argentinos Juniors)
14. Lisandro MARTINEZ (Defender, Newell’s Old Boys)
15. Santiago COLOMBATTO (Midfielder, Trapani Calcio)
16. Lucas RODRIGUEZ (Midfielder, Estudiantes)
17. Tomas BELMONTE (Midfielder, Lanus)
18. Ezequiel PONCE (Forward, Granada)
19. Matias ZARACHO (Midfielder, Racing Club)
20. Ignacio MENDEZ (Midfielder, Argentinos Juniors)
21. Marcelo MINO (Goalkeeper, Rosario Central)
The team was drawn in Group A with hosts South Korea, England and Guinea. Here’s their match schedule:
Argentina U20 matches:
Argentina vs. England – May 20
South Korea vs. Argentina – May 23
Guinea vs. Argentina – May 26
Shame because argentina controlled the game with 59% possession and had 22 shots to Englands 7… but missed great opportunities and then England scored twice out of no where!! Argentinas Martinez got a red card, stupidly, and then a 92 minutes penalty added England’s third.
Honestly, this was the prettiest 3-0 defeat I have ever saw! Controlled the game, 2/3 of the game was in England’s half but los pines were trying to be too prestige with their shots instead of just forcing the keeper to make a block and possibly getting a rebound tap-in. I expect a good tournament from this side the rest of the way. (Even though I rather win ugly like a Sabella side! Lol)
I watched both of Argentina games against Vietnamese U-20 & U-22. It seems Argentina is very strong although the opponent was a weaker one, but in general this Argentina team can beat England easily and win the world cup if the coach puts his strongest XI on the field and instructs them well. I am eagerly waiting for tomorrow’s game against England. The last time I watched Argentina play against England at any level was back in 2005 friendly match between the two teams which ended in a very bad way since Argentina were attacking England all match long and went in front for two times. Wish the best of luck for the youngsters!
Comments are closed.